7.30.2011

Class Reflection

Another boring post title, but my brain is completely fried from writing, assessing, etc....It's good to have reached the end of the term alive and looking forward to student teaching.  I was so afraid of the prospect of stepping into a classroom this fall, but having had an opportunity to meet former MACers and to watch videos of pre-service teachers in action, I am not as apprehensive, though still plenty apprehensive, don't get me wrong. 

Our class discussion about technology in the classroom was a good wrap-up.  Amanda's comments really hit home.  I too feel like I have been swept, kicking and screaming, into the tech world.  I feel bad for kids so wrapped up in their phones and what is going on somewhere else that they don't pay attention to what is right in front of them.  When I was a kid, things moved more slowly, and there were less demands on responding to friends and family instantaneously.  Boundaries are changing, becoming less solid, and I am not quite sure how that will shape the way we communicate.  As for use in the classroom, I feel it will be part of my job to define boundaries with technology.  Although my students will surely have much to teach me about the latest tech trends, I will have much to teach them about ways to appropriately and effectively use tech tools.

I think Mindy hit it on the head with the need to find balance when using tech tools.  Getting to know your students before introducing tech gadgets is probably the best approach.  A teacher needs to assess the prior knowledge of her students to effectively teach, whether the subject is English or the use of tech tools to supplement English lessons.  Of course tools like electronic whiteboards will be useful in a classroom, and I think I will get exposure to one with my teacher-mentor this fall.  As far as blogs, podcasts, twitter, and social networking, incorporation will depend on what I am trying to teach.  Blogs are a logical tool for an English class, but I don't really know how podcasts would fit in - maybe for presentations, and I am definitely wary of social networking!  I am not a very good social network person, and my students will most likely be savvier, so I just wonder if it is even a good idea to try it. 

When I started this class, I had a pretty negative attitude toward using technology in the classroom.  With each new tool I became familiar with, my attitude became more positive.  And my attitude either way does not really matter.  Technology will become further incorporated into everyday life and the classroom, so I can either use it to my students' advantage or ignore it at their peril.  So my newfound positive attitude means I am really looking forward to seeing how my mentor-teacher uses technology in the classroom and how its use engages his students.  In the fall I hope to hear from other SMACers the different uses of tech tools in their classrooms too.

I will try to continue this blog throughout the year, though in reality it will not be a top priority.  The exercise of reflecting on what I've learned is helpful as a way to track my progress during the program.  Well, we shall see...

5 comments:

  1. I think you are a lot better with technology than you give yourself credit for, but you self-deprecating demeanor makes me wonder: do all teachers in a school need to emphasize technology? Is it bad if only half the teachers a student has use technology?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your posting, Shannon, I'm put in mind of what, for me, is one of the biggest potential benefits from bringing blogging into the classroom, and that is students tuning in to what others are saying. You weave the comments of your classmates into the middle of your own sense-making process, and I very much like the way in which you've done that. It seems to me that the development of what we might call, at least in the broad sense, "listening" skills points towards skills and affects that are invaluable to our students, and are probably too easily overlooked as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your vacation and rest up for all the crazy fun that is to come ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear you have developed a postive attitude! On the note of your students teaching you a thing or two about technology, I think you could have a thing or two to teach them about not being constantly connected to a screen! Maybe make an assignment that cannot use technology to be completed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am equally curious about how my mentor teacher will use technology in his/her classroom (still waiting on that placement!). In class on Friday, a question was raised about whether the former MACers have found that veteran teachers are more resistant to technology or if they embrace it. I want to see for myself what the dynamics are.

    I also would love it if all the English people in our cohort could brainstorm some ways to use podcasts effectively in our classrooms. I think we all liked the idea, but a lot of the blog posts have indicated that we're unsure how it could work in an actual lesson. We're more likely to use blogging and other techniques. I'm not ready to give up on it yet!

    I do hope you keep blogging as the semester goes on. I thought about it, but I also have two other blogs outside of the ones we've been doing for class--so it's unlikely I'll update my "education" blog regularly. But I'd like to read yours! :)

    ReplyDelete